In today's news headlines:
* Johnson & Johnson halts clinical trials of its Covid-19 vaccine after a participant falls ill.
* Stock market darling Sasol is benefiting to the tune of about R8bn from fuel subsidies and a carbon tax exemption.
* Advisors to the president are recommending a three-year “solidarity tax” that would boost income tax for higher earners, according to Bloomberg news agency.
* According to the Competition Commission, Shoprite Checkers has agreed to stop enforcing exclusivity clauses in leases, ushering in a new era in the South African grocery retailing environment.
* All regions in SA lost about a fifth of their jobs between February-April, a study by the University of the Free State has found.